Sailing Around The World

Being Towed Is Crazy In Morehead City

Fun story as we where being towed into today we where towed up a very narrow channel at 7 knots. As we where passing throught the narrow channel entrance Dragonsbane hit the sand bar bottom and was drag right through it. That was scary and then just when I thought the tow boat driver was some crazy asshole we increased power as we approched a draw bridge that was closed. He didnt slow down and kept on the power, 6 boat length before hitting the draw bridge the bridge started opening and we had to steer the boat to the center of the channel so our mast didnt hit the bridge.

So when we got to the dock I asked the tow boat captian why he dragged us over a sand bar? He responsed with “well the other side of the channel is a rock shoal” O ok then! Not sure how we are going to get Dragonsbane back over that sand bar other then heel it way over and give the BEANS!!! I will let you all know how that turns out!

7 responses

1. Maggie

Sounds like a rough couple of days. Glad you are staying positive though and enjoying the stars and birds! Reminds me of a good song…maybe I’ll play it for you sometime. Stay safe 🙂

November 12, 2012 at 1:26 am

2. Crazy story: I couldn’t sleep yesterday morning so I got up about 4am (central) and thought I would check on Dragonsbane. Shipfinder showed you about 3 miles out of Beaufort and moving at 3kts. There was another boat really close to you. Now it makes sense as that must have been your tow. To tell you the truth my thought was the information was a day old and you were pulling in to drop Barb off as the airport is real close.
    Sorry to hear of the engine trouble. Do you think it could be the fault of the guy you had work on it?
    Will the tide be able to help you over the sandbar?
    Good luck and let us know how things work out.
    Don

November 12, 2012 at 1:29 pm

3. Barbara Soumis

I just spoke with Dale. The engine problem has been resolved. Fuel contamination. In short, the engine does not like dirty fuel filters, and shuts off all systems, even the oil pressure….. Even though we had the fuel tanks cleaned professionally before we left, we were told there is a chance that gunk may hide in the corners and baffles within the tanks. Sure enough, all the rocking and rolling loosened the gunk and it went straight to the filters. Anyway, Dragonsbane will be leaving the harbor at high tide, around 4:30 this afternoon.

It looks like there is a weather window to make a Gulf Stream crossing in the next 24 hours, so they may consider a more challenging sail. I’m sure Jacques will keep us updated as soon as he ducks under the bridges and skids across the sandbars.

Barbara Soumis

November 12, 2012 at 5:21 pm

4. Mike Matousek

I wish you the best! What a crazy adventure.

Mike Matousek

November 13, 2012 at 7:54 am

• Mike Soumis

Wow, getting off to a rough start, deisel engines typically run flawlessly and if they don’t the first place to check is the fuel. Hopefully you were able to get back out over the sand bar and are sailing at this time.

November 13, 2012 at 4:20 pm

5. Bill and Kathy Shine

Wow, what an adventure so far . Think about you guys often. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

November 13, 2012 at 6:22 pm

6. Peter Engel

Following along with your journey. Another sailer from Merrill wi. The Antigo journal posted your address. may you be blessed with beautiful winds.

November 15, 2012 at 2:03 am