Sailing Around The World

Exuma Cay Sea and Land Park

We pulled the anchor this morning and headed 30 nautical miles south to a place called Warderick Wells Cay and purchased a mooring ball for $20 bucks for the night and tomorrow. It will be nice because for the first time in a month we will not be anchored. Tomorrow we should see all kinds of animals, and there are many reefs to dive.

But all fun aside after we tied up to our mooring ball we ran into a big problem. Our diesel engine would not shut down when we push the stop button. I tried using the ignition key and turned that to the off position and the engine would not stop. I tried tracing out the wires to the engine from the stop switch but I could not find the source of the problem. Being a diesel engine I never gave any thought to having this problem so I am a little lost on how to jump my kill switch. I finally resorted to cutting off the fuel supply and stopped the engine. Anyway I hope that I can start the dam thing tomorrow but for now I am going to forget that problem and enjoy the island. Tomorrow sometime I will kick the can of problems down the street again!

Location: Lat: 24deg 23.81min N, Long: 76deg 37.93min W

Jacques

7 responses

1. Tonya Graham

Hey Jaques, wanted to wish you a happy birthday:) stay safe and have the tine of your life!!!:)

December 6, 2012 at 12:03 pm

2. Dan

Happy Birthday Jaques enjoy your day!

December 6, 2012 at 12:34 pm

3. Dina Abts

HAPPY BIRTHDAY “LITTLE” BROTHER!

December 6, 2012 at 12:51 pm

4. Mike Soumis

Jacques, I’ve been reading all your posts, enjoying them when its not about trouble with the boat and thinking you should be a book writer. Some diesel engines have a emergency kill switch or lever somewhere in the throttle linkage near the motor. Running them out of fuel can be very troublesome. They all have a emergcy hand pump usually right on the motor to hand pump up the fuel pressure. Sometimes you have to build up the pressure with the hand pump and bleed the injectors, pump up again and bleed again until you have fuel coming out of the fitting at the injector. Hopefully it cranks right up. Mike Soumis

December 6, 2012 at 3:35 pm

5. Colleen

Happy birthday Jacques!! Hope you have a great birthday on a cool island and hope your engine gets fixed!

December 6, 2012 at 6:37 pm

6. NatyB

Sounds like a very eventful birthday. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your day. Happy Birthday Jacques!

December 6, 2012 at 11:34 pm

7. Thank you all so much for the Happy Birthday wishes! It has been a very interesting day so far and I will post some pictures for you all to view.

Thanks again,