Sailing Around The World

A Letter to a Friend

?,

I have been on the high seas for 50 days or so and I am starting to understand the things we dislike about today’s culture and our generation. I have meet in the last three days a man that has been involved in every major military action sense the 1950’s till the 1990’s and has open my eyes to all things that the history books don’t included. The man has been in peace keeping and prisoner exchanges in Vietnam and when he started his military career he was picked up in the middle of the night and dropped into Cuba days before Kennedy started the Bay of Pigs. I met a man that has served in United Kingdom Merchant Marine and logged thousands of miles using a sexton and compass. I meet a couple from Wisconsin that traveled from the USA through a Tropical Storm with 60 knote winds and 27 foot wave and lived to tee the story. I meet a man by the name of Crazy George who has given us the direction to the Dominican Republic which we will set sail tomorrow for.

I guess what I am saying is that this trip around the world is more about the people then the places. If only you could open your mind and not worry about the money, what people may think, or say, you will begin the rest of your life when you step on Dragonsbane. I have found that each day is easier then the last and everyday makes my eyes grow wider with wonder and possibility. I am beginning to not care about TV, wealth, or impressing that one girl. I am finding the world is big and beautiful and no money or influence can change the simple and basic principle of the world which was beautiful long before all the money and influence. Dragonsbane has brought me to this and for that I will care for her with every drop of sweat and energy that I can muster. The ocean and seas are really where we need to be today to see what we really are personally, emotionally, and it will measure the amount of happiness we really have. Like the evolving world we will run into the people that matter the most by sailing to them, around them, by them, or at them.

I guaranteed with out a doubt in my mind that after 2 tough, long, hard, months of sailing aboard Dragonsbane and among her crew you will see the light, and life will start to take a whole new meaning with out you even knowing it. You cannot read a book to find the answer to life, you have to live it, see it, breath it, and play in it!

Your options are simple sell the money sucking physical items that cost money/bills, and come sailing for two years on Dragonsbane. You don’t need money where we are going, just courage and a good heart! Food will taste better, conversations will have more meaning, people will fall from the shadows and open up. Life at sea is just as much apart of life as is that little island you never heard of.

Sincerely,

Jacques

9 responses

1. Eric

Sounds like the trip is worth it. I can’t wait to talk to you about it.

December 20, 2012 at 2:18 am

• Me to man good to hear from you!

December 23, 2012 at 2:04 am

2. Ronald Ketcham

I am so happy for you! God bless on your journey! You have my continued prayers!

December 20, 2012 at 3:23 am

• Thanks Ron, Love to have someone praying for me!

December 23, 2012 at 2:05 am

3. Jaques-Sounds like you are living one of my favorite quotes. See Sterling Hayden’s quote below from his book “Wanderer”.

“To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea… “cruising” it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

“I’ve always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can’t afford it.” What these men can’t afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of “security.” And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine – and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need – really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in – and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That’s all – in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by, The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life? ”
    ― Sterling Hayden, Wanderer

December 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm

• I will have to read this book! Thanks

December 21, 2012 at 3:40 am

4. Lora Latvis

It sounds like you’re having a hell of a time!

I can’t tell you how many times I have wanted to quit work and venture out. Maybe emerge in another culture through the Peace Corps or just travel the lands and meet millions. Im not tough enough for the water yet! It’s crazy how much fear of the unknown can hold one back. I admire your courage and love reading through your

posts (even if Im a bit behind!)

December 21, 2012 at 5:01 am

• Lora Latvis

Oh, and dragonsbane fo’ life. Yeah!

December 21, 2012 at 5:02 am

• Well I very happy that you are following along. I think you have the right idea and maybe I can motivate you to not fear life outside your comfort zone and just experience it instead! You have to believe that the good in people will out way the bad.

December 21, 2012 at 11:43 pm