Sailing Around The World

Day 10 We made Landfall Galapagos Island 4/20/3

We made landfall at 3:30pm and spent an hour anchoring in a very small anchorage but managed to fit Dragonsbane. We went to shore on San Cruz Island in Academy Bay, Galapagos Islands. The town here is very clean and the local people are very helpful. I enjoyed Tacos for $5 dollars and was stuffed. The little town was full of shops and restaurants. I am looking forward to going scuba diving and take a few tours of the islands. For now I am going to crawl into my beer and rest for the night.

CHEERS!

Jacques

6 responses

1. Mary scott

Yay!

April 21, 2013 at 4:29 am

• Adam said “Thats what we were thinking”

April 21, 2013 at 11:10 pm

2. Barbara Soumis

Fantastic. What a journey. Love Mom.

April 21, 2013 at 7:20 pm

• Thanks MOM! Love you to and the whole crazy Family. Hi to all the Soumis’s up in the great North TOO! FYI Uncle Mike I am taking the coconut oil, works great and feel better!

April 21, 2013 at 11:08 pm

• Uncle Mike

Hey Jacques, sounds like your having a great journey. I still eat the extra virgin coconut oil everyday. I use it in my homemade bread, use it as butter and it works great for cooking fish. It helps in weight loss and improves your ratio of HDL to LDL. That tuna you got sounded good even though I haven’t had it raw. I went sugar free, nothing white, nothing made of corn on Jan 1 and now weigh 196, I haven’t been below 200 for 40 yrs. Sounds like Dragonsbane handles the rough water real well, those big waves sound pretty scary from my side of the fence. You make 6 to 10 foot waves sound like a walk in the park. I enjoy all your posts and think your a excellent writer.

April 23, 2013 at 2:14 am

• Uncle Mike,

Thanks for the tips with the coconut oil. I think it has helped alot with my knee because I have been doing alot of hiking up mountains and such. So you are under 200 lbs, that is great news. I am also losing a lot of weight and I work out when I am on night watch to stay awake. Well I am glad you like my writing I think its not great but I try and that’s all that matters. Yes the waves are big but after seeing about a million of them I guess I just shrug and look forward. This next leg 3000 miles will be more of a endurance test then anything. I talked with a few sailors heading our way and we should be in small waves 5 to 8 feet for the majority of the sail but there is some talk of 10 to 15 foot swells down south around 5 degrees latitude south. But as long as I have good wind I can’t wait. It would be nice to sail at 8 knots. Tell everybody I said hi.

Jacques