Sailing Around The World


Once again we tried our best to get under way but Panama had better plans for us today. To begin Adam and I went to shore after filling our diesel tanks up from the fuel cans we carry onboard. As we arrived we were informed that we had to pay $28 dollars for the use of the dingy dock. So we paid and spent the next hour filling up our 12 gallons of fuel. Only issue is that the fuel spout was bigger then the hole in our fuel cans so it took a long time to fill them. Next we ventured back unloaded the fuel and had lunch. I then spent a few hours plotting out our course to the Galapagos and finished a few other little tasks. We then decided that our Gasoline cans need to be topped off, but the gasoline is sold in a different place then the Diesel fuel. So being the smart crew that we are we decided to land our dinghy along a rock break wall that was right next to the gas station so we didn’t have to carry the two cans a ½ mile by hand. The landing went great, but when I got to the gas station they where just filling up the fuel tanks so I had to wait an hour before I could get my 10 gallons. My dad not knowing what was taking me so long dropped Adam off to see if I need help, nope I said this is PANAMA I am waiting! After fueling up we waved for my dad to come pick us up. As he approached the break wall the ocean swell lifted up the dinghy and then dropped the front end on a sharp rock and popped it. As we raced back to the boat I had my hand over the 4 inch  hole trying to contain as much air in the dingy as we sank into the ocean. We made it just in time to unload the fuel, outboard motor, and other items. Now we have a dinghy with a 4 inch whole, a pound of glue, patch material and a hard lesson on why you never to take your rubber dinghy to a rock break wall.



2 responses

  1. Hey Jacques and Dale! Sorry to hear about the dinghy pop! It would be great to see the photos of your repair! I hope the patch sticks. Try scuffing the areas that will receive adhesive with 60grit sand paper and a wrasp… clean the area with a solvent and fresh water (no soap)… the trick now is to use a rubber mallet to work the adhesive into the patch area by hammering at the center of the patch first (hammering against a hard flat backing plate), and continuing to hammer toward the outside of the patch (effectively making solid contact between the glue and dinghy hull, and working the glue to the outter perimeter of the patch. Good luck! Paul Exner

    April 11, 2013 at 2:37 pm

    • Paul,

      It is so good to hear from you! I listened to your radio cast and it was very cool, and thanks for mentioning us. I really think your business approach is right on. As for the Dingy I did as you said but did not hammer the patch as I am just read your comment. But the good news is that it is hold air and I will take a picture and post it. I am looking forward to our next crossing to Marquesas! It will take in a straight line 2,995 nautical miles and 25 days or less. Wish us luck.

      April 21, 2013 at 11:05 pm